Friday, October 7, 2011

I am who I am are you?

People, especially the ones closest to me, ask "Why do you share so much of yourself?" Hmm, why do I? It's simple really. I've always worn my heart on my sleeve. I'm a very emotional person. I'm also a very giving person. I don't know if it's more people pleasing or not. I'm still trying to figure that out. Sometimes I don't have an edit button and that gets me in trouble. I share certain experiences, not all. Some people will learn from what I've gone through. For example; I recently came out to the public as a domestic violence victim (see my previous blog post). I am no longer shameful. I am not to blame. Sharing my experience takes domestic violence out of the darkness. In return, I hopefully saved a life. However, being a domestic violence victim does not define me. I am still trying to figure out who I am. That's a lifelong process. Do you share to much? Is there such a thing?

Life is ever changing; ever evolving. I am who I am and I'm not apologizing for that! If more people would be open to change and learning, this world of ours would be a much better place; don't you think? I don't pretend to have the answers to everything. Lord knows I don't. But, I am willing to hear all sides and listen to all points of view. It amazes me how many closed minded people there are out there. On the flip side, there are even more who are loving, caring and open minded. People want to be heard. People want to be loved. If we all took the time to listen with an open heart and an open mind the more peace we would have within ourselves and for each other. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am who I am as well. I believe life is an amazing journey and hopefully we evolve and grow throughout our journey.

    I applaud you for sharing your experience with domestic violence. You are taking a terrible experience and shedding a positive light on it by helping others. Speaking up educates society about the horrors of domestic violence. There is no benefit to silence.

    My daughter was in an emotionally abusive relationship when she was 19. I learned about the abuse as she lie in an emergency room curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth, and sobbing. I had no idea it was going on...he seemed so nice. It took a psychiatrist only five minutes to fully understand what was going on and order him out of the room.

    I share this experience freely. There is no shame because it is part of our life and I hope that telling her story helps others. It took years to get through the damage to my daughter's self esteem but she emerged with great compassion and an incredible gift for helping troubled youth. She has found her calling in life. Good things can emerge from bad experiences.

    Keep up the good work of spreading the message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I think, Lisa? I think you are absolutely right. :) Openness is a virtue. It helps people connect. It lets people know that they are not alone in their struggles. It builds communities which give us support and make us strong. It gives us the freedom to be who we are. Openness -- it's a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete