Monday, October 3, 2011

Applebees = Crapplebees?

Why do big chain restaurants pour on the salt and smother their food in grease? It's disgusting. I never go to Applebees. I think the last time I was there was maybe 3yrs ago with my daughter. On Friday last week, my son won a free kids meal to Applebees at school. So, on Saturday, October 1st I decided to treat my kids to Applebees after the Step Out Against Domestic Violence 5k walk/run (benefiting Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley) where we volunteered and walked.

After resting at home for a bit, we went to Applebees. We were greeted with a warm welcome. That was nice. Our server was very nice and accomodating too. Then the food came. My son got what most 10yr olds would get, chicken fingers and fries. He couldn't eat much of it. My daughter got garden fresh ravioli. Well, let me tell you, when that was put in front of her I should've had it sent back. Why didn't I? Did you ever see the movie Waiting with Ryan Reynolds? If not, see it. You will never send food back again! The amount of oil that was on that plate was enough to fill a car! Exaggeration..nope! I got fajitas which were very spicy, peppery and hot. I like spicy food but my God! Plus the salt in it alone was enough to bloat me until next week. My daughter pushed alot of the food on her plate aside, scraped the sauce of oil off and just ate the four ravioli on her plate. When the server came to clear everything, I showed her my daughter's plate. She took it away and the manager came over. He was a nice man but tried explaining it was a brown butter sauce and blah, blah, blah...I asked him if he saw the plate? He kept trying to justify the chef's choice of cooking method. I told him I'm a certified nutritionist and cook. I stopped him cold. He comp'd the meal. Will I go back to Applebees or Crapplebees as I have called it for years... probably not. I don't care that they have a low calorie section and a Weight Watchers section. Salty is salty. Unhealthy is unhealthy. It's a shame because I gave them the benefit of the doubt too.

No comments:

Post a Comment