Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Meat Eaters Vs. Non-Meat Eaters

I would like to know why there is so much judgement against either or re: meat eaters vs. non-meat eaters. I eat meat, poultry and fish. However, as I get older, I find my body feels better leaning more toward a plant based lifestyle. At least one or two days a week I don't eat meat of any kind. On my "vegetarian" days, I get my protein from nuts and seeds, nut butters (peanut, almond or sunflower seed), legumes/beans, quinoa, soy and almond milk, Greek yogurt, and soy products including tofu (rarely). I know I'm getting all of my vitamins because I drink Chocolate Shakeology every day.

It is not heart healthy to constantly eat red meat. I suggest limiting it to once a week; once a month would be better. I am anemic and can feel when my iron is low. On those occasions, I will eat a burger or lean steak. My vegetarian/vegan friends accept that about me and do not try to change me. I in turn do not judge or try to change who they are. No matter what you are, the goal is to live as healthy as possible. You are better off physically eating more plant based foods. You cannot eat cookies, chips and processed foods and call yourself vegetarian. True vegetarians and vegans eat properly and make sure they get enough healthy foods in daily.

Vegetarians/vegans choose to eat and live this way. Some for religious reasons, some for health reasons, some because meat, poultry or fish makes them physically ill, etc. No matter the reason, there should be no judgement. There is no right or wrong here. Remember, each "body" is different and reacts differently to certain foods.

As a certified nutritionist it is my job to help you live your healthiest life be it as a meat eater or vegetarian. I ask that you don't judge one another. Respect and try to understand one another. Please feel free to contact me to start living your healthiest life no matter what you are!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. We are actually trying to learn healthy eating choices because my son was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes (he's 13). We have made a lots of changes in our diets, but it seems to not be enough. So as frustrating as it is, we are so eager to continue to learn healthy eating choices to improve his health, and our family's health.

    ReplyDelete