Friday, September 23, 2011

Do you help your community?

I know, I know, it's been awhile since my last post! Relax if you don't have kids. This is not just a post about children; especially mine. I have a point here I promise:)

I had the pleasure of helping out at my son's elementary school for picture day. My son, along with all of the other kids looked great and were happy to take a break from their lessons even if it was for pictures. You see, I am on my school's PTO (Parent Teacher Organization). If you are a parent with a child in school you should really attend meetings. You are a true participant in your children's education. I was able to volunteer because of the PTO today. Great friendships are made with other parents, teachers and the principal. The PTO gives back to the school which is part of our community. Check it out at least once!

Don't have kids? That's okay. There are plenty of other opportunities to help your community. See if there is a Main Street Program in your city or town. Get involved in a charity. I work closely with Turning Point of the Lehigh Valley. They help women like me that are victims of domestic abuse/violence. If you live in the Lehigh Valley, Step Out Against Domestic Violence 5k Walk/Run is Saturday, October 1st at the Lehigh Parkway. Would love to see you there. Not in the Lehigh Valley? That's ok, support other causes in your area! We are all in this together. Each individual on this Earth makes a difference... What are you doing?

Did you know that giving back not just in money but in giving of your time makes a huge difference in your overall health? When you help others, it's a natural way to feel good about yourself which in turn reduces your stress level. You will therefore lead a more productive life! How cool is that? I look forward to hearing how you are making a difference!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, thanks for your interesting article! It provides a lot of great ideas for ways to get involved. Plus, you are leading by example, which is the best way.

    I'm trying something new right now — my very first fall fundraiser for nonprofits! The idea is that I will donate 10% of my fee to the nonprofit of your choice for every paying client you send my way from now until October 31. I even created a special fundraiser link to the announcement on my blog:

    http://fundraiser.fwchapman.com/

    I gotta tell ya, Lisa, with all this contagious "getting involved" stuff going on, you may just manage to coax me into doing the 5 km walk. I looked it up on Google, and 5 km is only about 3 miles, which sounds like a lot less. :)

    Hey, I sit in a chair working in front of my computer all day! Do you think I can hack it???

    Rock on with your positive message,

    Fred

    ReplyDelete